Never mind that people don’t usually celebrate bloggers yet in Nigeria, just like the entertainment industry and fans do for their most talented and favourite celebs.
While I and a few bloggers have been listed or mentioned around the web as the most popular and influential bloggers in Nigeria based on our blog’s ranking, influence and branding, I believe that’s not enough to say we’re there yet or we should be celebrated.
Rather, we’re still scratching the surface.
But beyond lists, there are quite a good number of lessons that bloggers can learn from the entertainment industry — specifically — the Nollywood, Music and Comedy Industry.
Here are 4 ways that bloggers can become celebrities (or A-List Bloggers) in their own right:
- Bloggers will have to make their appearances felt beyond just their blogs – On Twitter. On Radio. On TV. On Billboards. At Events. Everywhere — if they’re to become the D’banj’s and Mercy Johnson’s of Nigeria’s emerging Blogging Industry.
- Bloggers will have to attract a huge following or fan base (literally) as well as build a unique voice and style to become the Basket Mouth’s and the Princess’s of the emerging Blogging Industry.
- Bloggers will have to figure out a method or a combination of methods to make serious money (with revenues in the excess of $10,000 monthly) from their content, brand and influence, not just relying on paltry sums from Google Adsense and other ad networks. (Note: Big brands with deep pockets are watching the blog space!)
- Bloggers will have to live in the world of make believe. Start riding posh cars and living in mansions in your imagination. Start giving away Blackberry phones to your fans and followers in your dreams. Soon, you’ll start living those dreams and imaginations. Soon, you’ll be living the Dot Com lifestyle, driving fancy cars, going toexotic vacations, wining, dining and partying.
If you’re to contribute to building a viable blogging industry, you must step up your game and move onto the next level of blogging: becoming a blog celebrity!
It’s time to raise the bar, bloggers! Here’s a quick to-do list:
- Forget blogspot sub-domains!
- Hire a very good WordPress designer to create a unique blogging brand!
- Adopt a unique style of writing and/or hire talented writers on your team!
- Join forces with other bloggers around your niche and attract new fans!
- Build a network of blogs around your blogging brand!
- Be prolific! Be passionate! Be professional!
Whether you’re blogging for fame or fortune (or both), remember that it would take a long time to build your blogging brand. If you’re into blogging for quick money or attention, then it’s not for you!
Let’s compete, collaborate and network together! That’s how the Nigerian entertainment industry became a multi-million dollar industry!
It’s showtime, baby!